Position Profile The Controller is a key member of the leadership team for Starrett-Bytewise. He or she contributes to all areas of management and provides financial leadership. The position is responsible for financial planning and analysis, forecasting, internal reporting, internal control as well as financial and cost accounting. The position reports directly to the General Manager with a dotted line to the Corporate Controller of The L.S. Starrett Company.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage all accounting operations and staff for payroll, billing, A/R, A/P, G/L, Inventory/Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition.
- Manage month-end closing and prepare monthly financial statements and other operational reports for the sites.
- Analyze variances and communicate recommended actions to management.
- Prepare forecasts of income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows.
- Provide proactive / unsolicited consultation, interpretation, and education of complex financial and operational matters to various departmental leaders used to drive business decisions.
- Collaborate with General Manager, Staff Accountants and senior management to explain results, make improvements, manage projects, identify inefficiencies, understand operations and lead the development of complex analysis.
- Monitor and implement internal controls (in conjunction with corporate policies) as necessary to ensure reporting integrity, safeguard company assets, and identify risks.
- Ensure proper accounting in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
- Estimate product costs to support quoting activities.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting, MBA or CPA a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- ERP experience required, Made-2-Manage experience a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced capability with MS Office applications, especially MS Excel.
- Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting techniques as well as proficiency with financial statement analysis and projection.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP.
- 3 plus years total experience.