PLADS Group Underwriter III
Salary Range: $48,000 – $110,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
Work Designation. This role is remote. This means you will be expected to work from your home, within the continental US. There may be occasions that you are requested to come to the office based on business need. Any requests to come to the office would be communicated with you in advance.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What does it take to be successful in this role?
- Has extensive knowledge of changes to policies, procedures, and governance tools, to ensure processes are up-to-date, reflect new policies and facilitate implementation within own work area
- Solid group Life/Disability underwriting knowledge
- Understanding of Group Life and Disability products and services, affiliated systems and applicable operational policies and procedures
- Strong math skills
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- 5 years of experience in the Underwriting area
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes assignments of high complexity while working within delegated authority
- Provides technical underwriting support and guidance to customers and distributors, consistently providing excellent customer service
- Maintains distributor relationships by consistently requesting the correct evidence, consistently making the correct decision and always explaining rating decisions
- Completes a range of queries and referrals within agreed authority limits, measuring the exposure analyzing the risk of each case to maintain underwriting standards
- Proactively contributes to the development and improvement of technical underwriting standards, controls, practices and procedures to better meet business goals
- Proactively contributes ideas and work for the development of new or enhanced propositions /procedures/philosophy, ensuring we charge the right premium for the associated risk
- Proactively supports development of self and others and contributing to a positive and supportive team culture
- Identifies training opportunities for self and others and assists with training as directed
- Works closely with distributors and other operational areas to support the overall achievement of the business plan, demonstrating knowledge in underwriting expertise, systems, procedures and processes
- Assists with quality reviews in order to help identify, assess and take action to mitigate risks to achievement of underwriting goals and objectives
- Undertakes investigations and inspections of data, processes and practice to identify potential or actual compliance issues and recommend appropriate action
- Collates and analyzes data and make recommendations to support the underwriter´s decision making process
- Assesses and evaluates underwriting processes in order to identify areas for improvement, tracking actions and monitoring implementation to demonstrate the impact that change may have
- Acts as lead technical resource for standard methodologies and systems knowledge to enable underwriters to deliver to customers efficiently and effectively
- Reviews and interprets information and advises internal clients of appropriate action to fulfill procedural and regulatory requirements
- Performs other duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $48,000 to $110,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.