Correctional Officer - C1
Columbus Consolidated Government
- Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains jail security; performs inmate head counts; monitors inmate activities.
- Performs booking and prisoner intake activities; transports inmates to and from appointments and to and from other facilities.
- Administers alcohol tests to inmates; testifies in court in regards to alcohol tests.
- Serves meals and distributes clothing and linens; confiscates contraband from inmates.
- Provides security for medical clinic personnel.
- Signs visitors in and out during visitation hours.
- Writes and maintains receipts for bond payments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local criminal laws.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing arrests, search and seizure, affidavits and warrants, and all aspects of law enforcement.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
- Skill in planning, organizing, problem solving, and decision making.
- Skill in the use of firearms and other assigned equipment.
- Skill in the use of office equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Minimum Educational and Training Requirements
No experience requirements. Ability to meet current requirements set forth in the Georgia Mandate Law Enforcement Training Act/Peace Officer's Standards and Training Act.
- Physical Requirements
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must be able to distinguish between shades of color.
The work is typically performed in a jail. The employee may be exposed to noise, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, or irritating chemicals.