Sterile Processing Technician Full Time
Shift:Â 10:30AM - 11:00PM ET (3-12Â hour shifts) -or- 12:30PM - 11:00PM ET (4-10 hour shifts)
Under the direction of unit management, the Sterile Processing Technician (SPT) receives, reprocesses and distributes surgical instruments and equipment, maintains associated equipment and prepares for surgical procedures.Â Performs other unit functions appropriate to the position, and in compliance with hospital policies, procedures and protocols.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists surgery staff requests for surgical case carts, supplies, equipment and trays. Prioritizes appropriately and delivers in a timely manner.
- Retrieves soiled equipment, decontaminates and prepares for re-issue.
- Accurately prepares instrument trays and packs, sterilizes’ protects items and self by handling equipment properly to prevent damage and loss. Follows PPE protocols.
- Demonstrates knowledge of care and cleaning of lumens.
- Prior to sterilization, completes lens and component check of each instrument to verify completeness and proper function of each instrument.
- Identifies that instrumentation coming from the washer decontaminator has been completely cleaned.
- Demonstrates the ability to reassemble any instrument disassembled for decontamination.
- Verifies all instrument mechanisms are working smoothly. Reports any instruments that fail the check to the Supervisor.
- Prioritizes and assembles standard and complex surgical instrumentation sets for the next day’s surgical schedule.
- Confirms that conditions for sterilization have been met.
- Documents what type and number of items in each load, sterilization date, and equipment log.
- Performs routine equipment maintenance and terminal cleaning.
- Demonstrates responsibility for own competency, mandatory programs and annual performance evaluation by maintaining all personal date up to date.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees
- Participates in the management of supplies for trays contain implants and central sterile department supplies.
- Notifies the Supervisor of missing or damaged instruments. Documents any missing instruments on the outside of each instrument tray after notifying the Supervisor.
- Works as a member of the total Surgical Services team to foster interdepartmental success.
- Performs other related work as requested.
Actively participates in the Central Sterile housekeeping responsibilities and duties as per written schedule.
Experience:Â 1-2 years experience in a job related field preferred. May include a medically related field, disinfection/sterilization or experience with technical equipment involving multiple parts.
Education:Â High School diploma or equivalent required. Graduate from an approved Central Sterilization Technician Program preferred.
- Current BLS required.
The Hughston Clinic, The Hughston Foundation, The Hughston Surgical Center, Hughston Clinic Orthopaedics, Hughston Medical, Hughston Orthopaedics Trauma, Hughston Orthopaedics Southeast and Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital participate in E-Verify. This company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.