Surgical Technologist Full Time
** Work Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; (3) 12hr shifts with flexibility as needed. **
The Surgical Technologist (Scrub Tech) functions under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) and performs delegated functions such as planning, preparing and setting up for cases, and managing supplies and equipment.Â The work that is performed is done under the established policies and procedures of the institution and according to the experience and scope of educational requirements of the individual and applicable legal guidelines.Â The Scrub Tech will be expected to anticipate the needs of the patient and physician and make decisions within the scope of their practice.
- Prepares and provides sterile supplies, instruments and equipment during surgical procedure
- Maintains the sterile environment/technique.
- Maintains control over all "countables" during surgery.
- Assures proper functioning of all equipment prior to use intraoperatively. Verifies with the
- circulator that all required instruments, supplies, and implants are accounted forÂ before the start of surgery.
- Knows and follows all Policies and Procedures of the department
- Functions within the scope of Certification
- Follows OR policies & procedures for "turnover" between cases, while maintaining efficiency
- Demonstrates ability to follow Universal Precautions, wearing personal protection equipment,
- works safely, and treats instruments and equipment with respect.
- Complies with surgical site verification and time out policies
- Reviews the planned procedure
- Verifies all equipment is functioning and inspects for safety prior to use
- Completes all counts accurately
- Verifies the sterility of all items prior to introduction onto the sterile field
- Monitors the sterile field for any breaks or potential breaks in sterility
- Remains current on all QI monitors maintained in the OR, reading each monthly report and
- suggesting future monitors.
- Maintains Service Project through: staff education, facilitates new equipment purchases and productÂ contract changes. Facilitates equipment repairs with surgeons and staff notification,Â requesting loaners if appropriate to minimize "down time".
- Maintains effective communication with peers, surgeons, and management
- Serves as a role model and preceptor for new staff.
PERSONAL GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Attends department in-services as appropriate
- Assists in new staff orientation as assigned
- Takes responsibility for determining learning needs and seeks out opportunities
- Demonstrates awareness of changes and advances in field.
- Accepts assignment changes without difficulty
Experience: 1 year of OR experience is preferred
Education:Â High School Diploma or equivalent required. Graduate of an approved Surgical Technologist program required orÂ 1 year of experience required.
- Â Must maintain BLS certification.
- Orthopaedic Surgical experience preferred.
- Surgical Tech Certification preferred.
The Hughston Clinic, The Hughston Foundation, The Hughston Surgical Center, Hughston Clinic Orthopaedics, Hughston Medical, Hughston Orthopaedics Trauma, Hughston Orthopaedics Southeast and Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital participate in E-Verify. This company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.