Assistant Center Coordinator
Phenix City, Alabama
Under general supervision assists in organizing and scheduling various functions to include sporting events and tournaments; instructs and oversees center participants in program activities; monitors facility and equipment to ensure no vandalism occurs, informs center participants of rules; instructs and oversees daily center activities and programs, ensures safety guidelines are followed; establishes and maintains filing system; stores and retrieves documents as needed and prepares various reports and performs additional duties in support of the department as needed or upon request.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statement of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned and expected aside from those set forth below to address operational needs and changing operational practices.
- May schedule events and/ or reserve facility for various functions; collects rental fee and informs event sponsors of regulations.
- Assists Coordinator with program activities to include after school tutoring, arts / crafts and games. Instructs or oversees center participants in indoor / outdoor sporting events.
- May assist in organizing tournaments by placing calls to confirm, verify or cancel schedules.
- Assists in coordinating and overseeing summer day camp programs.
- Inspects facility and equipment to ensure no vandalism has occurred.
- Reviews or confers with supervisor regarding event schedule to determine daily activities or events.
- Confers with center participants and informs them of rules and regulations.
- Ensures that center participants follow safety guidelines set by the City.
- Informs supervisor regarding emergency medical or disciplinary matters.
- Prepares score book rosters for Scorekeeper prior to games; may set up scoreboard and ensure that it is operable; replaces blown bulbs as needed.
- Provides information to supervisor for inclusion in narrative incident reports surrounding injuries, accidents or other significant matters.
- May obtain medical assistance in emergency situations.
- Checks out equipment and maintains store room.
- Assists in maintaining and securing facility keys.
- Documents and maintains daily attendance record notating hourly attendance.
- May prepare or assist in preparing incident reports for violations of center rules.
- Assists in preparing monthly event calendar detailing events and posts for public view.
- Occasionally assists in calculating daily attendance report totals.
- Assists in preparing additional reports upon request.
- Occasionally attends departmental meetings or special events upon request.
- Attends seminars, workshops and training related to recreational development.
- Answers multi-line telephone and provides callers with information regarding hours of operations, programs and schedules of events.
- Informs supervisor of supplies and equipment needed.
- Performs cleaning duties to include vacuuming, sweeping and organizing equipment.
- Completes maintenance work order request and submits to supervisor for building repair needs. Performs minor maintenance on equipment; refers major malfunctions to supervisor for repair by vendor or maintenance.
- Performs additional duties as assigned or upon request.
Education & Experience Guidelines
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities required for this position would be:
High school education or GED
Experience in education/customer service environment including supervisory or lead experience
Licenses or Certifications Required
The following generally describes the knowledge and abilities required in order to successfully perform the assigned duties of the position:
- Community recreation including activities including music, dance, arts and crafts, games, outdoor activities, team sports and social recreation, and the recreational needs of varied clientele including youth and persons with disabilities
- Administrative office operations including office systems, communications, records and equipment
- Location, use and requirements of centers and related facilities
- Read to comprehend recreation literature, regulations, reports, and similar non-complex material
- Write to prepare correspondence, reports and similar documents
- Communicate to give instructions, discuss recreation matters with center participants and the general public
- Add, subtract, multiply and perform simple calculations and compile numerical reports
- Develop event schedules
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the city encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations needed to perform the essential duties of this position.
Environment: Mostly Indoors
Physical Demands: See accompanying page for details
Key Working Relationship: Director, Asst. Director, Parks and Rec staff, children, parents and patrons.