Youth Center Worker (Part-Time)
Phenix City, Alabama
Under general supervision assists recreation staff in various functions to include sporting events and tournaments; instructs and oversees center participants in program activities; monitors facility and equipment to ensure no vandalism occurs, informs center participants of rules; instructs and oversees daily center activities and programs, ensures safety guidelines are followed. Additional duties in support of the department as needed or upon request.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statement of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned and expected aside from those set forth below to address operational needs and changing operational practices.
A. Assistance to Coordinator (30%)
- Assists Coordinator with program activities to include after school tutoring, arts/craft and games. Instructs or oversee center participants in indoor/outdoor sporting events.
- Assists in coordinating and overseeing summer day camp programs.
B. Center Operations (60%)
- Reviews or confers with supervisor regarding event schedule to determine daily activities or events.
- Confers with center participants and informs them of rules and regulations.
- Ensures that center participants follow safety guidelines set by the City.
- Provides information to supervisor for inclusion in narrative incident reports surrounding injuries, accidents or other significant matters.
- May obtain medical assistance in emergency situations.
- Checks out equipment and maintains store room.
C. Service to Department (10%)
- Occasionally attends departmental meeting or special events upon request.
- Answers multi-line telephone and provides callers with information regarding hours of operations, programs and schedules of events.
- Performs cleaning duties to include vacuuming, sweeping and organizing equipment.
- Performs minor maintenance on equipment; refers major malfunctions to supervisor for repair by vendor or maintenance.
- Performs additional duties as assigned or upon request.
Education & Experience Guidelines
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities required for this position would be:
Have a high school education or GED.
Experience in education/customer service environment.
Licenses or Certifications Required
The following generally describes the knowledge and abilities required in order to successfully perform the assigned duties of the position:
- Knowledge of community recreation including activities including music, dance, arts, and crafts, games, outdoor activities, team sports and social recreation, and the recreational needs of varied clientele including youth and persons with disabilities.
- Knowledge of location, use and requirements of centers and related facilities.
- Reading skills to comprehend recreation literature, regulations, reports, and similar non-complex material.
- Writing skills to prepare correspondence, reports and similar documents.
- Verbal communication skills to give instructions, discuss recreation matters with center participants and the general public.
- Math skills to add, subtract, multiply and perform simple calculations and compile numerical reports.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the city encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations needed to perform the essential duties of this position.
Environment: Work location will primarily be indoors.
Physical Demands: See accompanying page for details
Key Working Relationship: Center Coordinators, and kids