Service Maintenance Worker - Cemetery Division
Phenix City, Alabama
Under immediate supervision assists in maintenance of cemeteries. Assist in placement of traffic control devices. Picks up litter and debris from cemeteries ahead of mowing operations, removes grass clippings and vegetation using hand tools and power trimmers. Assist in loading/unloading and maintenance of tools and equipment. Performs additional tasks in support of the department as needed or upon request.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statement of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned and expected aside from those set forth below to address operational needs and changing operational practices.
- Picks up litter and debris from cemeteries ahead of mowing operations to ensure no obstructions or debris is present for the mowers.
- Removes grass clippings and other vegetation using hand tools.
- Trims grass and vegetation around obstacles behind the mowing operation using hand tools and power trimmers.
- Assist in positioning traffic control devices around work zone to conform with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Gathers necessary tools and equipment for job and loads onto truck.
- Ensures tools are in proper condition.
- Assist in ensuring equipment is in proper working order.
- Cleans tools and equipment and ensures that tools and equipment are stored properly.
- Attends departmental and safety meetings as required.
- Maintains uniforms and safety attire to conform to proper dress codes and safety rules at all times.
Education & Experience Guidelines
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities required for this position would be:
General knowledge/use of string trimmers, leaf blowers, zero turn mowers and common hand tools
Licenses or Certifications Required
The following generally describes the knowledge and abilities required in order to successfully perform the assigned duties of the position:
- Organization and operational procedures of the cemetery division.
- Proper operation and maintenance of assigned tools and equipment.
- City of Phenix City / Public Works safety rules and procedures.
- Policies, rules and regulations of the City of Phenix City.
- Read to comprehend written directives, policies, and rules.
- Verbally communicate to converse with supervisors and co-workers regarding work related activities.
- Utilize math to count, add and subtract whole numbers. S
- Comprehend written or oral instructions.
- Operate two-way radio to communicate with other work crews or dispatcher to receive and transmit information.
- Follow instructions and efficiently complete tasks.
- Exercise judgment particularly in tasks involving safety of self and others.
- Work under immediate supervision and carry out assigned tasks.
- Work as a member of a team.
- Work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the city encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations needed to perform the essential duties of this position.
Environment: Primarily outdoors
Physical Demands: See accompanying page for details
Key Working Relationship: Other employees of cemetery division