Phenix City, Alabama
Under general supervision runs diagnostic report of customer status. Closes daily routes to bill for services rendered, backs up computer system and prints monthly bills, process bills and apply postage, runs disconnect notices, prepares reports, maintains running balance of postage funds. Using computer, enters water meter change outs, prepares and tracks service orders, makes account adjustments and accept payments and performs additional tasks in support of the department as needed or upon request.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statement of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required, assigned and expected aside from those set forth below to address operational needs and changing operational practices.
- From monthly billing schedule runs diagnostic report of active customers and inactive meters.
- Checks for high/low/skips; may request re-reads.
- Runs skip list.
- Closes routes to bill for day.
- Backs up computer system and runs billing register.
- Prints out bills including bar codes if in system.
- Process bills and apply postage as required for bill without bar codes.
- Runs disconnect notices; prepares for mailing or discards based on status of account.
- Prepares report for certified mail, postage statement and summary report for Post Office.
- Maintains running balance of postage funds available; advises Office Manager when funds are low.
- Completes and enters water meter change outs.
- Prepares and tracks service orders for inoperable, broken or inactive meters.
- Prepares and distributes monthly billing schedule.
- Prepares special bills as required.
- Prepares usage summary for Plant.
- Prepares account adjustments as necessary.
- Updates bar codes to include new customers.
- Maintains records of transactions and prepares other reports as required.
- Fills in for Customer Service Representatives.
- May process customer payments.
- May run cashiers edits.
- Performs additional tasks as needed or upon request.
Education & Experience Guidelines
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities required for this position would be:
High School Diploma or GED
Office experience in bookkeeping/business technology, cashiering or related office environment.
Licenses or Certifications Required
The following generally describes the knowledge and abilities required in order to successfully perform the assigned duties of the position:
- Customer accounts and billing including transactions, activities, forms, records and procedures.
- Computers and related office equipment used in billing.
- Read to comprehend procedures, regulations and related documents of moderate complexity. Write in order to prepare forms, records, narrative reports, schedules and similar documents.
- Add columns of figures, subtract, multiply and divide in performing calculations involving decimals and percentages including skills to balance numerical tables.
- Communicate in order to speak to individuals in person and talk on the telephone.
- Key text and numerical data, process text and use specialized programs to process and mail bills and generate reports.
- Effectively interact with citizens and promote positive image for the City.
- Plan activities and work efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Work as a member of a team.
Physical Demands & Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the city encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations needed to perform the essential duties of this position.
Environment: Work location will indoors
Physical Demands: See accompanying page for details
Key Working Relationship: Utility customers, Utilities Department Staff.